Eligibility, Information, & Application
Eligibility to Student Teach
- Be admitted to the Teacher Education Program (*must be done prior to applying for Residency/Student Teaching).
- Secondary Education minors must attain a 2.5 GPA in the academic major, a 2.75 overall, and a 3.0 in professional education courses by the end of the term prior to Residency.
- Elementary Education majors must attain a minimum GPA of 2.75 in the major and overall and a 3.0 in professional education course by the end of the term prior to Residency.
- Pass all areas of the subject-matter knowledge state exam.
- Attain a grade of "C" or higher in all professional education courses.
- Secondary education students must complete nine of the courses required for the academic teaching major.
Placement is contingent on the criteria listed in the final check.
You may be required to interview with the prospective school district.
You will be required to submit information and cover the costs of a background check required by the department of education as well as any additional requirements of the school with which you are placed. A second background check will be required if Residency begins more than 12 months from the initial check.
You may also be required to attend institute and faculty meetings, which occur in August and September, regardless of the term in which you student teach.
Visit Career Development's special page For Faculty for special opportunities and resources for teachers.
There are specific resources here for creating and maintaining a "teacher talk" resume as well as cover letter.
Are you using "teacher talk" in your everyday experiences?