Requirements for the Leadership Concentration come in three areas: coursework, co-curricular application and a written portfolio. In most cases, the courses taken to satisfy the requirements for the concentration will also satisfy general education requirements. Students must maintain a 'B' average in the courses taken to acquire the concentration.
For the Leadership Concentration you will need 12 credit hours from the following:
Required Courses (6 credit hours):
LEV 121 Contemporary Issues in Leadership
LEV 390 Seminar on Leadership Theory (LEV ACR)
Advanced courses (6 credit hours):
Choose any two 300 level or above LEV All College Requirements (ACR) courses listed. The two courses cannot be taken within the same department or discipline.
ACC 470 Auditing and Attestation
BCM 465 Advanced Biochemistry
BUS 378 Sales & Sale Management
CSC 495 Capstone Seminar
EDN 475 Philosophy of Education & Teaching
ENG 460 Seminar in Special Topics
ENV 300 Modern Environmental Issues
FIN 370 Wealth Management
FRN 338 Vichy France
GWS 395 Leadership, Ethics & Values Seminar in Gender & Women's Studies
HTB/HST 392 The Holocaust
HTB 490 Leadership, Ethics & Values in Sport and Fitness
HST 470 Capstone Seminar
LEV 301 Servant Leadership
LEV/USS 325 Leadership & Place
PSC/GWS 312 Women & American Politics
PSC 313 Politics of Race, Gender & Class
PSC 336 Civil Rights, Liberties & Justice
PSY 330 Community Psychology
PHL/REL 344 Religion & the Political Order
REL 355 The Historical Jesus
SOA 380 Social Class in American Society
SCI 432 Science: Fact or Fiction
THE 450 Senoir Musical
- Service in a NCC organizational leadership position( e.g., Student Government, Resident Life staff, service trip coordinator, board member of a campus ministry organization, etc.).
- Service in a NCC athletic leadership position (e.g., Team Captain, Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, Student Athlete Mentor).
- Completion of LEV 250: Precepting, or service in some other approved academic leadership position.
- Service in an approved off-campus leadership position.
- Service as an LEV MicroLoan advisor.
- Completion of an LEV approved Verandah course involving significant leadership components.
- Completion of an LEV approved internship experience, preferably LEV 495, involving significant leadership component.
Note: Students are encourages to propose additional leadership applications to satisfy this component of the Leadership Concentration to the Director of the Leadership, Ethics and Values Program.
Completion of Written Portfolio: All of the following must be completed.
- Written response to two "leadership designated" cultural events not to exceed 2 pages each.
- Evidence of participation in two annual leadership concentration colloquia. College Scholars may participate in two honors colloquia when approved by the Director of Leadership, Ethics & values Program.
- Copies of major written work submitted in all leadership concentration required course.
- A concluding/capstone personal statement not to exceed 3 pages.
- A resume.
- Completion of all requirements for either a North Central College BS or BA degree.
Greg Jackson '09
Through the Leadership Concentration at North Central College I've learned that it's important to gain all the knowledge and experience in your field that you can so you can be a resource to help others reach their goals.
As a Sports Management major I hope my leadership skills will help athletes take a stance on tough ethical issues facing them. I hope my leadership will have a positive affect on those I manage, the same way teachers and coaches here have had on me.