North Central College - Naperville, IL

Teacher Education Program

If you've already earned a bachelor's degree, you may take the courses needed to qualify for the Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL)

  • Elementary -- Grades 1-6
  • Secondary -- Grades 9-12 in the following subject areas: English, Mathematics, Science (with an emphasis in Biology, Chemistry or Physics), Social Science (with an emphasis in History)
  • K-12 -- Grades K-12-in the following subject areas: Art, Foreign Language (Spanish, German or French), Music, Physical Education

For more information on becoming a teacher in Illinois, visit the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) website.

How to Apply

How long will it take to complete the teacher certification program at North Central College? The short answer is "it depends." It depends on the type of certification you're seeking and how many additional courses beyond the professional education "core" may be required. For this reason, we strongly encourage prospective students to apply and send us official copies of all their undergraduate transcripts for an official evaluation of undergraduate credit. The official evaluation will provide a list of all the courses you would need to complete our program.

Visit Campus for an Individual Appointment
To schedule an individual appointment to meet with a counselor, call the Office of Graduate and Continuing Studies at 630-637-5555.

Program Format
The academic calendar at North Central College consists of three 10-week terms (fall, winter, and spring), a three-week D-Term, an eight-week summer term, and consecutive four-week summer sessions. The unit of credit at North Central is the credit hour, which is equivalent to one semester hour of credit. North Central's program does not offer evening or online courses.  All courses are taught on campus in Naperville.  The program does not lead to a degree. 

Financial Aid Opportunities
You may qualify for the following:

  • Federal Stafford Loan 
  • Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate students 
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Work Study

Financial aid awards are based on full-time enrollment (eight- credit hours minimum) unless otherwise noted in the award letter. Minimum enrollment of four credit hours (half time) is required to receive financial assistance. Concurrent enrollment at other institutions will not be considered in determining your enrollment status for financial aid awarded through North Central. Students who want to apply for financial aid through North Central will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and request Financial Aid Transcripts from previously attended schools, whether or not they received financial aid.