North Central College - Naperville, IL

150 Moments: Carnegie Library, Goldspohn Science Hall, the heating plant

Three iconic buildings, built in the early 1900s, doubled the College’s physical plant and are still fully utilized today, though for different purposes.

By the early 1900s, North Central College’s need for space beyond Old Main became a crucial concern. College President Herman J. Kiekhoefer and Judge John S. Goodwin initiated contact with philanthropist Andrew Carnegie to seek out funds for new facilities.

After much discussion, Carnegie agreed to donate $25,000 to then North-Western College for a new library building. Carnegie Library, as it was formerly called, was one of only a few academic libraries in Illinois that received funding from Carnegie.

150 Moments: WNCC to WNOC to WONC—the radio voice of North Central College

WONC broadcast studio in Old Main
From ham radio, to carrier current and AM, to WONC-FM 89.1 and the Internet, the radio voice of North Central College has been broadcasting for 64 years.

After World War II, incoming students to North Central College included a number of returning war veterans, many of whom had experience as service radio technicians during the war. As a result of the hard work and efforts of eight student technicians, the campus radio club was born, using ham radio.

150 Moments: Bus trip to Selma, Ala., in support of civil rights

Civil rights march at Edmund Pettus Bridge, 1965
Three busloads of North Central College students and faculty travel to Selma, Ala., to participate in civil rights march with Rev. King March 21, 1965.

On March 7, 1965, nonviolent civil rights activists participated in a march from Selma to Montgomery, Ala., to support voters’ registration rights.

As participants crossed the arched Edmund Pettus Bridge at the edge of Selma, they encountered a squadron of hostile Alabama state troopers who attacked the marchers with tear gas, nightsticks and bullwhips. The day has since been known as Bloody Sunday.

150 Moments: Martin Luther King Jr. visit to North Central College

Martin Luther King Jr. during campus visit in 1960
Civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. visited North Central College on Nov. 21, 1960, and spoke during chapel service on “Stride Toward Freedom.”

Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. visited North Central’s campus on Nov. 21, 1960, and presented a speech titled “Stride Toward Freedom” in Pfeiffer Hall during one of the College’s regular chapel services.

King was the most important voice of the American civil rights movement. He was famous for using nonviolent resistance to overcome injustice and never tired of trying to end segregation laws. In 1964 he received the Nobel Peace Prize.

James Will named to North Central College’s Wall of Witness

North Central College is honoring James Will of Arlington Heights by adding his name to the College’s Wall of Witness.

This is the fifth of five weekly installments profiling individuals who will receive Alumni Awards & Recognition on Nov. 11 during North Central College’s Sesquicentennial Homecoming Celebration.

Nov. 1, 2011—North Central College is honoring James Will of Arlington Heights by adding his name to the College’s Wall of Witness.

150 Moments: Bill Shatzer ’42, Cardinal football great

Bill Shatzer ’42, 1940 Spectrum yearbook
North Central College student-athlete Bill Shatzer ’42 defied the odds as standout four-sport athlete, honored with life-size statue, named to Hall of Fame.

Born in Lewiston, Pa., Bill Shatzer ’42 moved to Mooseheart, Ill., following the death of his father. He enrolled at North Central College in 1938 and proceeded to excel in a variety of sports here at the College.

Shatzer lettered three times each in basketball and baseball and twice in track. However, he may be best remembered for his accomplishments in football.

150 Moments: Old Main, 1870-

Old Main, winter 1921
North Central College’s iconic Old Main building was dedicated Oct. 4, 1870, and refurbished and rededicated in October 1998.

After laying the cornerstone on May 17, 1870, Old Main came to represent the merging of North-Western College, which had just relocated from Plainfield, and the residents of Naperville. Old Main remains the oldest building on campus and one of the oldest buildings in the surrounding area.

150 Moments: President Gael D. Swing, 1975-1990

President Gael D. Swing, 1975-1990
North Central College’s eighth president was Gael Swing. Serving from 1975 to 1990, he introduced continuing education, Evening and Weekend College and more.

Gael D. Swing succeeded Arlo Schilling in 1975 to become the eighth president of North Central College. Born in Indiana, Swing received a bachelor’s degree from Franklin College in 1954 and a master’s degree from Indiana University in 1963.

After 15 years of working in admission and development at Franklin College, he joined Washington University (St. Louis) as director of special program services in the development office. He came to North Central College as executive vice president in 1973 before being named president.

150 Moments: President Arlo L. Schilling, 1960-1975

Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and President Arlo Schilling, 1960
North Central College’s seventh president was Arlo L. Schilling, serving from 1960 to 1975, during the turbulent years of war, civil rights, student unrest.

Arlo Schilling was named North Central College’s seventh president on Nov. 11, 1960. Raised in an Evangelical United Brethren family in Indiana, Schilling served in the military during World War II before he graduated from Huntington College and earned a master’s degree from Indiana University and a doctoral degree from Purdue University.

150 Moments: President C. Harve Geiger, 1946-1960

President C. Harve Geiger, 1946-1960
North Central College’s sixth president was C. Harve Geiger, who served from 1946 to 1960 during the College’s post-World War II years.

Appointed North Central College’s sixth president in 1946, C. Harve Geiger was born in Indiana and attended Manchester College and the University of Chicago, where he received his bachelor’s degree in 1922. He received an M.A. in education from Harvard University and a Ph.D. from Columbia University.

Geiger served as a faculty member at Iowa Wesleyan, University of Dubuque and Coe College before his inauguration as president.

Syndicate content