The type of award package you receive depends on the extent of your need, academic class and financial aid history. We award as much grant or gift assistance as possible, but are restricted by the limits (annual and cumulative) and available funding of these programs. The remainder of your need is met by a combination of loan(s) and/or work and the limits (annual and cumulative) dictated by each program. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee all your financial need will be met. Your financial aid package generally stays the same year to year, but is subject to revisions based upon EFC changes. For example,
- Presidential, Dean, Honor or Achievement Scholarships remain the same if you maintain the appropriate cumulative GPA and make satisfactory progress toward your degree. You must be full time each term to receive one of these merit awards.
- Departmental scholarships (music, art, etc.) depend on your participation and departmental funding.
- Need-based assistance (North Central Grant, Supplemental Grant, Pell Grant, ISAC Monetary Award) depends on your need, federal and state funding, and whether you’re making satisfactory progress toward your degree.
You can expect to receive a similar level of funds if:
- Federal and state funding and eligibility criteria do not change.
- Your expected family contribution remains the same or similar, as determined on the FAFSA.
Your expected family contribution could change if the following occurs:
- Parent income and assets increase or decrease from the prior year.
- Student income and assets increase or decrease from prior year.
- Family size and number of students in college change from the prior year.
New students will receive award notification via postal mail. Current students will receive an award letter or email award notification message requesting you to view your awards in our internal system, Merlin, after a student file is complete and our office has processed your information.
It’s important to follow through on the following items:
- Submit the Direct Loan Acceptance Form to our office and indicate rejection or acceptance of the amount of loan you would like to borrow.
- Accept or reject your offered loans through Merlin.
- Retain a copy for future reference.
- Carefully read all documents, including the Terms and Conditions. You are responsible for all the information provided.
- Return any other requested items included in your award letter package.
- Notify the Financial Aid office if your living arrangements or enrollment have changed.
If your original award package changes, we will notify you via your college email account and ask you to log in to Merlin to review the changes. Revisions may occur for the following reasons:
- Changes in your financial circumstances. You may request a revision in your aid package by submitting a Change in Financial Circumstances form along with supporting documentation. Please note: If you’re already receiving the maximum allowable amount in all the programs for which you qualify, you may not see a revision in your aid package.
- You withdraw from the College. Please contact Student Affairs at 630.637.5151 if you are withdrawing.
- Outside aid received is higher than originally estimated.
- Outside resources were not originally taken into account.
- Factors make you ineligible for the aid awarded.
- Change in your enrollment status.
- Your failure to respond to letters or requests for information.
- Change in living arrangements.
If you wish to appeal a decision made by our office:
- Submit all pertinent documents (award letter, denial letter, etc.) and a written letter of appeal to the director of financial aid.
- The appeal will be evaluated and we will notify you with a letter explaining our decision.
- All appeal decisions are final and cannot be appealed to any other office.
Many decisions our staff makes are based on federal and state laws or the College’s statutes. Therefore, the decisions are not eligible for review, since no discretionary authority exists. If this proves to be the case, we will notify you.