April 22, 2011—Musical talents of North Central College students will be showcased in the stunning acoustics of Wentz Concert Hall during a series of six performances in May and June.
The concerts feature both choral and instrumental ensembles performing in Wentz Concert Hall at the Fine Arts Center, 171 E. Chicago Ave. Tickets for each event are $5/adults and $3/students and senior citizens; call the North Central College Box Office at 630-637-SHOW (7469) or visit northcentralcollege.edu/showtix.
The six performances are:
· Wednesday, May 11, 7:30 p.m., Cardinal Chorus will perform choral classical favorites, folksongs and spirituals for its final concert of the season.
· Wednesday, May 18, 7:30 p.m., “A Great Evening of Jazz” showcases all the student jazz ensembles of the North Central College Jazz Studies Program.
· Thursday, May 19, 7:30 p.m., Women’s Chorale “Finale!” Concert is the group’s final concert of the season, featuring a challenging repertoire of sacred and secular music.
· Tuesday, May 24, 8 p.m., student instrumentalists demonstrate their talents when Concert Winds performs its annual Graduation Concert.
· Wednesday, May 25, 7:30 p.m., the Chamber Singers “Metamorphosis” Concert showcases a select 16-voice mixed ensemble in presenting a retrospective of their music from its season.
· Friday, June 3, 8 p.m., the College’s Concert Choir will present its annual Graduation Concert accompanied by a full orchestra.
“A Great Evening of Jazz” on May 18 features ensembles directed by the College’s acclaimed jazz faculty, including the Jazz Combos led by guitarist John McLean, saxophonist Mitch Paliga and drummer Jack Mouse; the Vocal Jazz Ensemble directed by vocalist Janice Borla; the NCC Big Band; the NCC Jazz Guitar Ensemble led by McLean; a Chamber Jazz Group directed by trumpeter Doug Scharf; and the Jazz Saxophone Quartet under the direction of Paliga. Repertoire will include compositions and arrangements by such jazz luminaries as Dizzy Gillespie, Wayne Shorter, Don Grolnick, Bobby Troup, Janice Borla and others.
North Central College in Naperville offers undergraduate programs of study in music, jazz studies and music education in choral and instrumental. Students take a combination of core music classes, private lessons, ensembles and other classes suited to their area of specialization or interest. For more information about the College’s music program visit northcentralcollege.edu/majors/music or contact Ramona Wis at 630-637-5629.
These performances are among many ongoing programs at North Central College to enrich and broaden the cultural and academic outlook for the College and community. North Central offers a variety of venues accommodating a rich range of local and world-class events, performances and space needs for the public. For a comprehensive schedule of musical performances, theatrical and dance productions, art exhibits and lectures, visit northcentralcollege.edu/show or call the box office at 630-637-SHOW (7469).
Contact: Ted Slowik, director of PR and media relations, 630-637-5307