During the event, students were introduced to the practice of composting. Waste cans were exchanged for compost bins where food scraps, napkins, cups, cutlery and plates were collected and hauled away by Compost Supply, a company that composts food and landscape scraps. Waste from the picnic will be turned into soil in a few months and the company will sell it to create rooftop gardens.
After the No Waste and Farewell picnics, some 580 lbs. of waste were deferred from landfills and composted instead.
Other activities at the picnic included:
- Campus Safety discussed ZipCar and the red bikes
- A display featured all the sustainability initiatives on campus
- City of Naperville presented its new Smart Grid Initiatives
- Chartwells displayed its compostable containers, cups, plates, napkins, etc.
- WONC broadcast live
- Orientation staff distributed red reusable bottles and raffled off fleece blankets
In addition, during move-in opening week, the cardboard recycling collection was a great success. Students, parents and move-in staff carried cardboard to designated locations outside each dorm and, as a result, waste dumpsters were free of cardboard. This collection was relocated to a recycling dumpster at the stadium and the 20-yard dumpster was quickly filled within a day!