North Central is taking advantage of the City of Naperville’s holiday light strand recycling program. This season alone, the College has deferred some 20 strands from a landfill and expects to recycle more as lights burn out during the holiday season.
You, too, are encouraged to participate in your community’s holiday light strand recycling program for indoor, outdoor, LED and regular lights. Following are some local programs.
• Wheaton: Dec. 1-Feb. 18. Public Works Garage, 821 W. Liberty Dr.
• Lisle: Dec. 4-Feb. 28. Village Hall, 925 Burlington Ave.
• Naperville: Now through March 15. Public Works Garage, 180 Fort Hill Dr.
• Naperville Park District: Now through Feb. 1. South Maintenance Facility, 3415 Book Road; Central Shop (behind the Barn), 421 W. Martin Ave.; Alfred Rubin Riverwalk Community Center, 305 W. Jackson Ave.; Springbrook Golf Course, 2220 W. 83rd St.; Naperbrook Golf Course, 22204 W. 111th St./Hassert Blvd.
• Carol Stream: Now through Jan. 31. Library, 616 Hiawatha Dr.; Village Hall, 500 N. Gary Ave.; Simkus Recreation Center, 849 N. Lies Road
• Lombard: Now through Jan. 9. Public Works, 225 E. Wilson Ave.
• West Chicago: Now through Feb. 19. Water Treatment Plant, 1400 W. Hawthorne Lane; City Hall, 475 Main St.; Police Department, 325 Spencer St.; Park District Fitness Station, 103 W. Washington St.; Murphy Ace Hardware, 391 S. Neltor Blvd.
• Downers Grove: Now through Feb. 18. Public Works Facility, 5101 Walnut Ave.
by Abby Hahne, sustainability coordinator