Campus Safety OfficerJan. 30, 2013North Central College would like to take this opportunity to announce that applications are now being accepted for the full-time, non-exempt positions of Campus Safety Officer. This position will report to the Director of Campus Safety and to the Assistant Director of Campus Safety. General Responsibilities:
• Provide security services to the college community by enforcing College policies, patrolling campus, and securing assigned areas or buildings. Patrol assigned zones observing campus activity, responding to concerns and deterring criminal activity. Escort students and employees around campus and/or to the remote parking lot as requested.
• Maintain key control and/or access to secure and restricted locations. Monitor key card access to academic and residential buildings on campus. Respond to burglar alarms, fire alarms and system trouble alarms. Assist students, employees, and approved guests by unlocking buildings or residence hall rooms as appropriate.
• Respond to campus situations including disputes, violations of College policy, medical and other emergencies. In cases of illness or injury, provide emergency first aid and/or CPR/AED to ill/injured persons, or assist in the transportation of persons when necessary. Coordinate with the Naperville Police and Fire Department and/or the Residence Life staff in responding to emergencies.
• Assist with evacuations when fire alarms sound and direct individuals to safe areas in the event of severe weather. Warn campus community when severe weather is likely.
• Intervene in and document, when appropriate, behavior which is inconsistent with College policy or disruptive to the campus community.
• Complete necessary administrative forms/reports related to campus safety. Provide accurate documentation in all information participants and/or witnesses. Complete a Daily Activity Report and other paperwork as assigned by the Director or Assistant Director.
• Provide vehicle jump starts to employees and students as needed.
• Assist Director and/or Assistant Director in conducting investigations or special projects as requested.
• Provide security services to organizations that rent the use of college property and/or during transportation of large sums of cash and/or other valuables.
• Appear in DuPage County Court and campus conduct hearings regarding incidents that occur in the college community when necessary.
• Provide traffic/crowd control during scheduled activities or during emergency situations as necessary.
• Enforce state, local and college parking rules and regulations. Keep excellent records of all citations and ensure that tickets are appropriately entered into the system for payment. Apply vehicle immobilization boot per department protocol.
• Attend and complete regular training including an overview of college and department policies, patrol and lock up procedures, city and state laws, customer service, crisis management, confrontation skills, conflict resolution, report writing, self-defense, parking enforcement, radio communications and FCC regulations, safe driving practices, first aid, and working with faculty and staff. Become AED certified within 90 days of employment.
• Attend external training courses, classes, and seminars through the North East Multi Regional Training Center to further develop protective service skills and knowledge.
• Assist, as directed, in the hiring and training of new campus safety staff. Provide direction to student officers as assigned.
• Provide basic information and directions to students, faculty, administration, staff and/or the general public.
• Assist external law enforcement agencies when requested with issues concerning college students, faculty/staff and/or guests. Maintain positive relations with external law enforcement agencies to obtain or exchange relevant protective service information.
• Fill departmental collateral assignments as assigned by a supervisor. Serve on campus-wide committees as assigned.
• Clean and fuel campus safety vehicle(s).
• Provide programs and presentations, which promote safety and security to students, faculty, administration and staff.
• Perform other work-related duties as assigned. Minimum Qualifications:
• High school graduation or GED.
• Must be able to pass the College’s Basic Security training course, and possess a certification in emergency CPR and AED during the 1st 90-days of employment.
• No record of convictions or moral turpitude; and pass a criminal history check.
• Prior security, military or law enforcement training or experience, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are strongly preferred.
• Experience in campus safety in a higher education setting is preferred.
• Ability to apply campus rules and regulations, write accurately and complete incident reports, and maintain a detailed security log.
• A valid driver’s license.
This is only a brief description of the position.
If you meet the above qualifications and wish to be considered a candidate for this position, please submit your materials electronically, including a letter of interest, resume, and names and telephone numbers of three professional references, by using our online application. You may also submit the above application materials to:
North Central College, Office of Human Resources, 30 N. Brainard St., Naperville, IL 60540
Or via Fax: 630-637-5755
Or via E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org