Register now for North Central's D-Term Verandah experiences
Oct 31, 2012
Registration is underway for North Central College’s 2012 D-Term Verandah experiences, taking place both on and off campus.
There are 11 extraordinary opportunities for students to pursue informal, experiential learning in small groups with a faculty member who has uniquely designed the experience. No prerequisites or special skills are required and all Verandahs are open to any majors. Ten are credited; The Newberry 125 Verandah is noncredit. The registration deadline is the first day of final exams, Monday, Nov. 19.
The Verandahs and their faculty instructors are:
• Theatre in Chicago—Carin Silkaitis, assistant professor of theatre
• Mathematics of Square Dancing—David Schmitz, associate professor of mathematics
• Face to Face: Connecting Cultures/Crossing Borders—Sheryl Finkle, professor of education, and Jack Shindler, professor of English
• Contemporary Art in Chicago—Hale Ekinci, assistant professor of art
• Exploring Christmas Traditions—Neil Nicholson, assistant professor of mathematics
• A Play a Day: Cold Readings of Contemporary Drama—Kelly Howe, assistant professor of theatre
• Community Action in Theory and Practice—Hillary Shulman, assistant professor of speech communication
• The Cure for Nature Deficit Disorder: GOYA-Go Out and Play—Nancy Keiser, professor of education
• Researching Play at the Children’s Museum—Nicole Rivera, visiting assistant professor of psychology
• Learning Through Dramatic Inquiry—Mary Beth Ressler, assistant professor of education
• The Newberry 125: Jack Kerouac, Lewis & Clark, “Candide” and More!—One-day Verandah activity with Ann Durkin Keating, Dr. C. Frederic Toenniges Professor of History
Visit the website to learn times and locations, which vary, and to read descriptions. Email each faculty member for more information.
Registration is through Merlin and closes Nov. 19. The one-credit hour D-Term Verandahs are included in the Winter 2013 Merlin listing under the course designation VER. Credited Verandahs may also be taken for 0 credit. Students interested in the noncredit Verandah activity should sign up by contacting the instructor.