WONC student broadcasters claim eight trophies at state contest
Sep 25, 2013
Several student broadcasters representing WONC-FM 89.1, North Central College’s student-run station, attended the annual Illinois Broadcasters Association (IBA) 2013 Student Silver Dome Awards, held Sept. 13 at Illinois State University in Normal.
WONC had received eight nominations in the state contest and took home eight awards, claiming three first-place, three second-place and two third-place trophies. Illinois colleges and universities of all sizes with radio/TV programs are eligible to compete.
Standout student winners are station manager Kevin Jackman ’14 who claimed six awards, including one first-place, three second-place and two third-place trophies. Jeremy Rushing ’14 won three awards: one first-place, one second-place and one third-place. Other first-place trophies went to 2013 graduate Whitney Goodbred and Jared Shlensky ’14.
The categories and student winners are:
1. Best Radio Station Newscast for “WONC Headline News—May 10, 2013,” 4 p.m., by Goodbred, Rushing, Kristin Gitchell ’16 and 2013 graduates Karl Jessen, Kim Ippolito and Noah Savage
2. Best Radio Sports Story for “WONC Sports Update,” by Jackman
3. Best Use of Interactive Media for “WONC Sports Podcast,” by Shlensky
1. Best Radio Station Promotion for “NCC Basketball Promo,” by Jackman
2. Best Radio Live Game Sports Broadcast for “NCC Basketball vs Hope,” by Jackman, Rushing and 2013 graduate Trevor Magnotti
3. Best Station or Program Website for “WONC Sports Website,” by Jackman and Shlensky
1. Best Radio Station Newscast for “WONC Headline News—May 10, 2013,” 5 p.m., by Goodbred, Rushing, Savage, Jackman, Jessen and Gitchell
2. Best Station or Program Website for “WONC Social Media,” by Jackman, Ippolito, Jason Krug ’14 and 2013 graduate Hannah Jurik
Student award-winners are a diverse group, majoring in broadcast communication, English and journalism, interactive media studies and athletic training. John Madormo, assistant professor of broadcast communication, is the station’s general manager.
In addition to these winning achievements, the College Broadcasters Inc. (CBI) announced on Sept. 18 that seven WONC students have been nominated for a national award for Best Newscast. Titled “WONC Headline News—May 10, 2013,” 5:55 p.m., the newscast was presented by Goodbred, Rushing, Savage, Jackman, Jessen, Gitchell and Ippolito. The awards will be presented at the Nov. 21 CBI Annual Convention in San Antonio, Texas.
WONC is among the most honored collegiate radio stations in America and has won national and state awards in commercial and collegiate competitions. With a 30-mile listening radius and potential listening audience of four million people, WONC’s pure rock music format broadcasts a mix of news, sports, traffic, music and public affairs programming 24 hours a day, year-round. Listen live at wonc.org.