Linden Oaks, Dyson Wellness Center present talk April 22 on why depression matters
Apr 18, 2014
North Central College’s Dyson Wellness Center and Linden Oaks at Edward Hospital will present an hour-long session titled “Why Depression Matters” from 5 to 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 22, in the Banquet Hall at the Harold and Eva White Activities Center. All students, faculty and staff are invited to the free event. Snacks and beverages will be served.
“We’ve held this presentation before and many asked for it again because it’s such an important issue,” says Tatiana Sifri, director of the Dyson Wellness Center. “Suicide is the second leading cause of death for college students. Many people suffer alone and often have various barriers to seeking help. We want to continue to shine light on depression and other mental health issues that can be challenging … and let people know there is treatment that can be life-changing, such as counseling and medication.”
These and more aspects of depression will be discussed:
• The prevalence of depression and risk for suicide among college students
• What depression is and the different types of depression
• What depression is not and how to tell the difference
• Common causes of depression
• Depression and co-occurring issues and concerns
• Ways of preventing and managing depression in yourself or a loved one
• How to tell if someone is at risk
• Assessment and treatment of depression
• Emerging mental health issues among college students and young adults
“We want to help those with friends or family members who struggle with depression to know what to do and how to them the appropriate help. It could be a matter of saving a life,” says Sifri. For more information contact the Dyson Wellness Center at 630-637-5550 or visit cardinalnet.northcentralcollege.edu/student-life/dyson-wellness-center.