On Veterans Day and throughout the week, North Central College will celebrate Veteran and Military Student Appreciation Week to honor and recognize its 24 student veterans and four ROTC cadets.
A highlight of the week—the playing of “Taps” and a moment of silence—takes place at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 11, at three different campus locations. All are invited to attend at any of these sites:
• Old Main flag pole: Trumpet player is Abigail Francis ’16, student veterans are Megan Nilles ’16 (Air Force) and Ponce Vargas ’17 (Army), faculty/staff veteran is Rick Fobes (Navy), adjunct assistant professor of marketing
• Jefferson Commons (near the fire pit): Trumpet player is Kay Glover ’18
• Bill Shatzer ’42 Statue at Championship Plaza: Trumpet player is Zach Murphy ’18, student veteran is Justin Stuursma ’18 (Army)
Additional weeklong activities include the Wall of Heroes, a Service Project that includes notes of appreciation and collection drive, Oesterle Library display, Yellow Ribbon campaign and flag display, and lunch with a student veteran.
Wall of Heroes, Nov. 10-14
The Wall of Heroes will be on display in the Harold and Eva White Activities Center (WAC) lobby Nov. 10-12 and will be moved to the Old Main lobby Nov. 13-14. In honor of our student veterans, military students, staff/faculty veterans and family members of the North Central community, the Wall of Heroes display will recognize those who have served our nation. Don’t forget to email VeteranServices@noctrl.edu with the person you want honored.
Service Project, Nov. 10-12
Stop by the Student Veteran Services table in the WAC lobby from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Nov. 10-12, to participate in these two collaborative service projects with Operation Support Our Troops - America.
• Notes of appreciation: All faculty, staff and students are encouraged to submit notes and cards of appreciation to service men and women. Note cards are available at the table in WAC and may include holiday greetings or thank you notes. And if you’d like the service personnel to write back, include your name and address.
• Collection Drive for care packages for active military: Click here to view the list of needed items. Drop off your donated items or monetary gift at the WAC lobby or anytime at room 501 Old Main. Operation Support Our Troops America will pack the care packages and include a note from a citizen.
North Central in the Great War
View this display in the Oesterle Library lobby.
Yellow Ribbon campaign and Display your flag
Kristen Luchene ’15, who plans to earn a graduate degree in military clinical psychology, has tied yellow ribbons around the trees lining the Sesquicentennial Walkway to show support for our troops. Also, small U.S. flags will be sent through campus mail to all departments to display in classrooms and offices; displaying a U.S. flag on Veterans Day and every day is one way to honor and support our veterans.
Lunch with a Student Veteran
You may be asked by a student veteran to have lunch this week in Kaufman Dining Hall. Chartwells has donated a Treat Yourself and a Faculty/Staff Member gift certificate to each student veteran.
For more information contact Julie Carballo, veteran services coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-637-5155.