Extensive experience in higher education communications, including speechwriting for college president, developing communications strategies and producing content for print publications, web, social media, admission marketing and alumni relations/fundraising.
2003-present: North Central College, Naperville, Ill.
Editorial Director, Office of Marketing and Communications
- Writes President’s speeches for Board of Trustees meetings, Commencement and public events; oversees and writes messaging for President for print publications like annual report.
- Leads editorial team to develop content for alumni magazine/annual report, website, admission marketing publications, fundraising communications and social media. Serves as editor for alumni magazine.
- Serves on Crisis Task Force and handles on-call crisis duties. Handled media and campus communications for a major campus crisis.
- Supervises communications specialist and senior writer. Created position description for new communications specialist position and conducted hiring process.
- Hires, trains and mentors student writer-interns.
- Technology: Box, Datatel, RT Tracker, Redbooth, Flickr
- Special projects: Served on campus-wide committee to transition from terms to semesters; handled communication duties related to Strategic Planning process and presidential inauguration; helped formulate position description for presidential search process; assisted with application for Phi Beta Kappa; developed print collateral for capital projects.
1995-2003: Freelance journalist based in Wheaton, Ill.
- Accepted assignments from Chicago Tribune, Daily Herald and Business Ledger.
1990-1995: Freelance writer based in Kalamazoo, Mich.
- Senior writer, Northern States Power, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Publications editor, General Mills, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Personnel assistant and employee newspaper staff writer, Caterpillar Tractor Company, Peoria, Ill.
- Assistant director, public information office, Iowa House of Representatives, Des Moines, Iowa.
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education (regional and national conferences)
- Association of American Colleges & Universities (national conference)
- Northern Illinois Colleges and Universities PR/Marketing Directors Group