Leadership Academy - 2022 - 2023 Speakers to be Announced Soon
The North Central College Leadership Academy, offered in partnership with IL ASCD, prepares and supports school leaders in utilizing character and virtue education as the foundation for interaction among students, faculty and staff in a school setting. This yearlong program, delivered through a virtual format, features conversations with well-known speakers and thought leaders in the field of character education and school leadership.
- Hosted by North Central in partnership with IL ASCD
- 2022-2023 speakers will be announced soon
Why Character Education?
Character and leadership go hand in hand. Effective leaders build community within their schools and are able to retain high-quality teachers, which translates to enhanced student outcomes. Further, the goal of a good education is to prepare students academically and to nurture them as individuals who become resilient, empathetic, and contented adults.
Who Should Attend?
- Preschool, elementary and secondary building and district level administrative leaders.
- Individual or group registrations are welcome.
Why this Leadership Academy?
- The Leadership Academy was designed with administrative input to ensure target outcomes are met while focusing on structures of support for today’s leaders.
- The programming model allows for engagement with speakers, colleagues, and experts in the field.
- The online presentation structure encourages interaction between participants and speakers.
- Connection sessions with a Professional Learning Network support practical and personalized application.
- Mini-grant opportunities provide leaders with funds (up to $5000) to support implementation within their building.
What are the Projected Outcomes?
- Learn from world-renowned thought-leaders in the field of Character Education.
- Develop a deeper understanding of how to foster a virtue-driven Culture of Character within a school community.
- Explore opportunities for self-reflection, self-awareness and professional growth.
- Connect and engage with a diverse network of colleagues encompassing a variety of perspectives and ideas.
- Acquire Administrator Academy credit.
- Work collaboratively with a professional coach to develop and submit a personalized mini-grant proposal rooted in Cultures of Character that will directly impact students and communities.
“As a former teacher, principal and assistant superintendent, I feel it was uncommon to access the level of support that is being offered through the yearlong NCC Leadership Academy. As the demands on school leaders continue to increase, and time for professional growth becomes less available, the opportunity to participate in this enriching opportunity will have tremendous impact on school leaders, and that in turn serves to benefit students, parents, faculty, and staff.”
Colleen Transier, Ed.D., Visiting Assistant Professor of Education and Coordinator of the Leadership Academy, North Central College
2022 - 2023 Year At A Glance
- Character Leadership half day sessions with professional speakers and incorporating time for interaction among participants and speakers.
- 9 am - 12 pm CST
- Dates and speakers to be announced soon
- Connection opportunities designed to develop participants' professional learning network and provide guidance on applying the material presented by speakers. One connection session per semester will be offered - fall and spring.
- Grant Project Planning
- A Cultures of Character Project will integrate learning from all aspects of the Leadership Academy including the professional speakers’ series, guided facilitation sessions, and extended reflection experiences. At the conclusion of the 2022-2023 Academy, those who have participated in a minimum of 4 sessions will be eligible to submit a proposal for a mini-grant of up to $5,000 to implement an initiative designed to influence the school’s culture of character.
“IL ASCD has a 15-year tradition of offering the Leadership Institute and the program continues to evolve to serve the ever-changing priorities of administrators and school leaders. We are excited to partner with North Central College by offering ongoing learning, teaming, and coaching experiences in our first annual Leadership Academy.”
Ryan Nevius, Executive Director IL ASCD
“I loved the connection sessions and being able to interact and exchange ideas with other school leaders.” Mavis DeMar, former public school teacher and principal; current principal at St. Raphael School
Check back here for the 2022-2023 list of speakers.
“Our goal is to acknowledge, appreciate, and serve educational leaders. Through a generous grant donation, we have been able to dream big and design an experience that will be inspirational, insightful, and impactful. We are offering access to prominent thought-leaders and providing support structures for enacting personalized school improvement planning.”
Sharon Wysoglad, Character Education Project Director, North Central College
2021 SEL Summit
In July of 2021, North Central College was highlighted as a Gold-Level Sponsor for the 4th Annual SEL Summit hosted by IL ASCD and Mindful Practices. Over 250 educators and leaders joined the two-day professional learning event. Presenters sponsored by North Central delivered messages targeting the impact of a leader’s character.
Click here for the North Central character sponsored speaker list.
2021-2022 Leadership Academy
- Clifton Taulbert
- Anthony Muhammad
- Marvin Berkowitz
- Michael Fullan
Connection sessions were led by a team of Character Thought Leaders.
As a result of the generous donation from the Kern Family Foundation, mini-grants of up to $5,000, which includes implementation guidance by a professional coach, will be awarded. The Cultures of Character Project integrates learning from all aspects of the Leadership Academy including the professional speakers’ series, guided facilitation sessions, and extended reflection experiences. A listing of 2021-2022 grant proposals and awards will be posted here soon.