2022-2024 STARTALK Student Program
BUILDING CHINESE LANGUAGE COMPETENCE THROUGH DIGITAL MEDIA
The North Central College Chinese Program, in alignment with the STARTALK mission to increase the number of speakers of Chinese for future careers in diplomacy, business, and education, students will interact with technology and contemporary media, including TikTok videos, documentaries, vlogs, newspaper articles, and other media. Students will increase their language proficiency, develop diverse communication strategies to mediate across cultures.
Upon successful completion of the program, participants will earn 4 transferable college credits.
- No tuition costs for the students. Study materials, snacks, lunches, boarding, and field trips are included at no extra charge
- More advanced students will be challenged to enhance their language skills through a more intensive level of interaction with their teachers and peers
- Learning through hands-on activities, traditional and modern Chinese arts, films and other media to better understand and communicate with people of Chinese-speaking background
- Make new friends and build smart networking with students from other high schools throughout the Midwest
The program includes the following three modules:
- Module 1: Explore (Spring 2023; Online; 20-Hour Tutoring)
- Module 2: Experience (June 11- 25, 2023; Residential Camp at North Central College)
- Module 3: Expand (Summer, 2023- Spring, 2024; Online; 40-Hour Tutoring)
- Open to 24 students in 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th grade currently enrolled in a Chinese language course.
- Admission is selective. Applicants are expected to demonstrate commitment to continue studying the language beyond the summer program.
- Application Form
- Application Deadline: January 14, 2023, by 11:59 p.m.
For inquiries, please contact:
Dr. Jinai Sun
Associate Professor of Chinese
Modern and Classic Languages
North Central College
30 N. Brainard Street, Naperville, IL 60540
Phone: (630) 637-5263