Awarding and Grants for Undergraduates

Important facts about grants as a source of financial aid:

  • They are need-based.
  • No repayment.
  • To be considered, you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit other requested documents.
  • Available only to students who have not earned an undergraduate degree.
  • Enrollment requirements may apply.
  • Reapply each year.
  • Satisfactory progress requirements must be met--see policies page.

Grant Types

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

  • Annual amount cannot exceed $4,000
  • Amount awarded is based on need, available funds or limit set by North Central College
  • Priority given to students enrolled at least half time (4 credit hours per term) and receiving a Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grants

  • Annual awards up to $6,095 based upon EFC calculation and enrollment

  • Additional Pell grant consideration for students enrolled in summer, fall, and spring semesters in the same aid year

Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) Monetary Award Program (MAP)

  • Illinois residents
  • Applied toward tuition and fees only
  • Enrolled at least 3 credit hours per term
  • Awards range from $487 to $4,869 based upon enrollment and EFC calculation

Application Deadlines

  • We strongly recommend that you file your FAFSA by December 31 each year to be considered
  • If you file after this deadline, you’ll be considered based on available funds
  • Please note: ISAC may change these dates based on state budget constraints

North Central College Grants

  • Awards start at $300 per academic year
  • Enroll at least half-time
  • Awarded for a total of four academic years only
  • Amount can change each year based on the FAFSA result


The type of award package you receive depends on the extent of your need, academic class and financial aid history. We award as much grant or gift assistance as possible, but are restricted by the limits (annual and cumulative) and available funding of these programs. The remainder of your need is met by a combination of loan(s) and/or work and the limits (annual and cumulative) dictated by each program. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee all your financial need will be met. Your financial aid package generally stays the same year to year, but is subject to revisions based upon EFC changes. For example,

  • Academic, Achievement, Dean, Honor, Presidential, Excellence, Merit, or Success Scholarships remain the same if you maintain the appropriate cumulative GPA and make satisfactory progress toward your degree.  You must be a full-time undergraduate student each semester to receive one of these academic merit awards.
  • Departmental scholarships (music, art, etc.) depend on your participation and departmental funding.
  • Need-based assistance (North Central Grant, Supplemental Grant, Pell Grant, ISAC Monetary Award) depends on your need, federal and state funding, and whether you are making satisfactory progress toward your degree.

You can expect to receive a similar level of funds if:

  • Federal and state funding and eligibility criteria do not change.
  • Your expected family contribution remains the same or similar, as determined on the FAFSA.
  • Your living arrangement remains the same.

Your expected family contribution could change if the following occurs:

  • Parent income and assets increase or decrease from the prior year.
  • Student income and assets increase or decrease from prior year.
  • Family size and number of students in college change from the prior year.

Award Letters

New students will receive award notification packets via postal mail. Current students will receive an award letter or email award notification message requesting you to view your awards in our internal system, Merlin, after a student file is complete and our office has processed your information.

It’s important to follow through on the following items:

  • Submit the Direct Loan Acceptance Form to our office to indicate rejection or acceptance of the amount of loan you would like to borrow or
  • Accept or reject your offered loans through Merlin.
  • Retain a copy for future reference.
  • Carefully read all documents, including the Terms and Conditions. You are responsible for all the information provided.
  • Return any other requested items included in your award letter package.
  • Notify the Financial Aid office if your living arrangements or enrollment have changed.

Award Revisions

If your original award package changes, we will notify you via your college email account and ask you to log in to Merlin to review the changes. Revisions may occur for the following reasons:

  • Changes in your financial circumstances. You may request a revision in your aid package by submitting a Change in Financial Circumstances form along with supporting documentation. Please note: If you’re already receiving the maximum allowable amount in all the programs for which you qualify, you may not see a revision in your aid package.
  • You withdraw from the College.  Please contact Student Affairs at 630-637-5151 if you are withdrawing.
  • Outside aid received is higher than originally estimated.
  • Outside resources were not originally taken into account.
  • Factors make you ineligible for the aid awarded.
  • Change in your enrollment status.
  • Your failure to respond to letters or requests for information.
  • Change in living arrangements.

Appeal Procedures

If you wish to appeal a decision made by our office:

  • Submit all pertinent documents (award letter, denial letter, etc.) and a written letter of appeal to the Office of Financial Aid.
  • The appeal will be evaluated and we will notify you with a letter explaining our decision.
  • All appeal decisions are final and cannot be appealed to any other office.

Important Notice

Many decisions we make are based on federal and state laws or the College’s statutes. Therefore, the decisions are not eligible for review, since no discretionary authority exists. If this proves to be the case, we will notify you.