School of Graduate and Professional Studies
Master of Arts in Sports Leadership
Why Pursue a Master of Arts in Sports Leadership at North Central College?
Sport Leadership prepares you to apply business, coaching and physical education principles to effectively manage athletic programs and teams, fitness/rehabilitation facilities and health clubs, sport recreation services, and other related services.
- 100% Online Curriculum - flexible courses designed to fit your busy schedule so you can keep your job while earning your degree
- Comprehensive Curriculum - a strong curriculum that looks to the future by offering courses in trending sports leadership topics, such as Sport Promotion, Marketing and Public Relations; Financial Models in Sport, and Management of Facilities and Events.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Correlate principles of leadership with knowledge of sport and the sport industry in order to advance organizational strategic initiatives.
- Articulate and apply principles of financial and facilities management, marketing, and human resource management in the leadership of a sport organization.
- Articulate and apply theories of motivation, leadership and talent development.
- Apply principles of conflict resolution and collaboration in their organizations and teams.
- Apply ethical and legal principles and evidence-based decision making to solve dilemmas.
- Demonstrate understanding of diversity, equity and cultural difference, and be able to utilize techniques to interrupt bias and create a culture of inclusion.
Master of Arts in Sports Leadership Curriculum
All courses are offered in fully online formats and are delivered in 8-week sessions. The program consists of 12 courses, 36 credit hours. You will be able to complete the degree in two years by taking two courses each semester or one course during each 8-week session.
Leadership Core Courses
- MORG 500: Leadership and Organizational Theory
- MORG 525: Diversity and Inclusion
- MORG 550: Communication, Group Dynamics and Conflict Resolution
- MORG 575: Evidence Based Decision Making
- MORG 696: Innovation Project
Sports Leadership Courses
- MHRM 515: Strategic Human Resource Management
- MSPT 603: Legal and Ethical Aspects of Sport
- MSPT 606: Sport Promotion, Marketing and Public Relations
- MSPT 609: Financial Models in Sport
- MSPT 612: Management of Facilities and Events
- 2 elective courses from the following list:
- Data Analytics for Managers (MBUS 500)
- Workforce Training & Development (MHRM 645)
- Assessment, Evaluation & Planning (MORG 625)
- Leadership Coaching (MORG 600)
- Facilities and Events Management (MSPT 609)
- Higher Education Administration (MHED 610)
- Higher Education: Past, Present & Future (MHED 620)
- Recruitment and Selection (MHSM 625, MHRM 515 is Prereq.)
- Workforce Compensation and Benefits (MHRM 655, MHRM 515 is Prereq.)
- Entrepreneurship and New Venture Strategy (MBUS 509)
Graduate Online Learning
We pride ourselves on giving personal attention to our students. Our faculty are committed to getting to know their online students and work diligently to foster community within the program. Our online programs are personal but flexible. They are rigorous and challenging, yet supportive and encouraging. Our online students will not only walk away with a meaningful degree but also a community.
Learn more about graduate online learning at North Central College.