Why pursue a criminology degree at North Central College?
Criminology is the study of crime and criminal behaviors. Students majoring in Criminology will learn theories of criminal behavior related to understanding why people commit crime, potential prevention methods, and where and against whom crimes are most frequently committed.
Students will develop an accurate sense of the historical developments of discipline—exploring the evolution of the justice system and lessons society has learned over time.
The program is designed to provide a comprehensive analysis of the complexities of the criminal justice system. Students will assess the impact of legislation, examine the disconnect between research and practice, and evaluate the inequities that permeate the justice system.
Students can enhance their studies in a variety of ways:
- Conduct undergraduate research and present your findings at the College’s Rall Symposium for Undergraduate Research
- Network with industry experts and complete competitive internships
- Join the North Central Criminal Justice Association student organization
- Take your education abroad in one of our many study abroad programs
- Enroll in Chicago Term to experience living in the city while taking courses from North Central professors
- Community & City Life
- Community Psychology
- Crime, Law and Society
- Criminal Justice System
- Drugs and Behavior
- Gender: Patterns/Privileges/ Possibilities
- Intersections of Crime
- Law and Order in Cross-Cultural Perspective
- Law, Politics, and Society
- Policing & Corrections
- Power-Based Personal Violence
- Race/Ethnicity: Conflict & Change
- Social Class: Get Ahead/Fall Behind
- Rights, Liberties, and Justice
- Youth Justice, Crime, & Law
Graduates work in a number of industries, including:
- Social Services
- Institutional Corrections
- Community Corrections
- Juvenile Justice
- Private Sector
- Legislative Offices
- Law Offices
- Students are also well-prepared for law school and graduate school
Invest in your future
Choosing the right college is a big decision. Don’t make it alone. North Central’s admission and financial aid team is here to help you design a financial aid solution that works best for you and your family.
Merit scholarships, grants, loans, campus employment - these are just some of the resources available to you. Over 95 percent of students and 100 percent of all eligible students receive aid. Let our team partner with you in finding the best value for your education.
Apply to North Central College
The first step to becoming a North Central student is reading the application instructions specific to you. Find out everything you need to know about applying by selecting the group you belong to below.