Why pursue an Exercise Science degree at North Central College?
An exercise science degree will prepare you for a career as an exercise professional in the rapidly growing world of health, fitness, and human performance. Its broad-based curriculum balances the applied art of fitness programming with the scientific fundamentals of anatomy and physiology. North Central’s exercise science program is also recognized by the National Strength and Conditioning Association. Students in the major are prepared for careers in strength and conditioning, medical fitness, corporate fitness and wellness, personal training and human performance. Many students choose to use the exercise science major to prepare for graduate programs in physical therapy, occupational therapy, nursing, medicine, exercise physiology, chiropractic or others.
You can also:
- Utilize Dartfish motion analysis software in your coursework.
- Benefit from networking with area exercise professionals.
- Take advantage of support from our pre-health advisor if you wish to pursue graduate studies.
- Benefit from a curriculum recognized by the National Strength and Conditioning Association’s Educational Recognition Program (ERP).
- Engage in practical hands-on learning in a new state-of-the-art Human Performance Laboratory and throughout the curriculum.
- American College of Sports Medicine Exercise Physiologist (ACSM-EP) and/or National Strength and Conditioning Association Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA-CSCS). The Exercise Science curriculum at North Central College prepares students with the knowledge and skill areas needed to succeed at these rigorous certifications.
Exercise Science, B.S.
Exercise Science is broad discipline that studies the effects of physical activity on the human body. Exercise Science includes topics such as kinesiology, biomechanics, exercise physiology, fitness assessment, exercise training techniques and exercise programming for healthy and special populations. Exercise Science is a degree that prepares graduates to work in wide range of careers related to health, fitness and human performance.
For additional programs and courses in this department, see
The Human Performance Lab is located in Wentz Science Center and includes the following:
- Cosmed Bod Pod
- InBody 770
- Portable Force Plate
- iWorx System with Lab Scribe Software
- Cosmed K5
- Dartfish Motion Analysis Software
- Woodway Treadmill
- Monark Cycle Ergometer
- Portable Blood Lactate Meter
- Portable Blood Glucose Meter
- Posture Zone Chart
- Blood Pressure Cuffs and Stethoscopes
- Lange Skinfold Calipers
- Polar H10 Heart Rate Monitors
- Video Camera and Tripod
- Hand Dynamometers
- Plyo Boxes
- BOSU Balls
- Stability Balls
- Foam Rollers
- Vertec Vertical Jump Tester
- Bands and Tubing
- Jump Ropes
- Medicine Balls
- Examination Table
The lab is accessible to all students who have declared Exercise Science as their major or are taking classes in Exercise Science.
Exercise Science Internships and Jobs
A North Central education integrates career preparation with rich academic study. Our faculty encourages you to refine and apply your knowledge in an interconnected world. Here you'll learn to think independently and work globally to solve problems and lead.
Recent graduates in exercise science interned in:
- Athletic Development
- Medical Fitness
- Youth Fitness
- Corporate and Community Fitness
Graduates in exercise science have been accepted at:
- Benedictine University
- Midwestern University
- Palmer Chiropractic
- Pacific University
- University of Idaho
- University of Illinois-Chicago
- Rush University
- Soma Institute
- Rosalind Franklin University
- Northwestern University
Careers in exercise science include:
- Strength and conditioning specialist
- Personal fitness trainer
- Corporate fitness administrator
- Medical fitness administrator
- Youth fitness specialist
- Exercise physiologist
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
Invest in your future
Choosing the right college is a big decision. Don’t make it alone. North Central’s admission and financial aid team is here to help you design a financial aid solution that works best for you and your family.
Merit scholarships, grants, loans, campus employment - these are just some of the resources available to you. Over 95 percent of students and 100 percent of all eligible students receive aid. Let our team partner with you in finding the best value for your education.
Apply to North Central College
The first step to becoming a North Central student is reading the application instructions specific to you. Find out everything you need to know about applying by selecting the group you belong to below.