School of Graduate and Professional Studies
Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership
Why Pursue a Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership at North Central College?
You want to rise as a leader that creates meaningful change in your organization and look for new ways to frame, approach, and tackle ambiguous problems. You yearn to make strategic, evidence-based decisions and to develop yourself as a leader who can coach and lead others.
Through the Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership, you will become equipped to effectively develop and motivate employees, solve problems, and lead and inspire others by example. You will learn how to grow your knowledge of diversity, creativity, talent development, and data analytics to apply proven leadership techniques in real-world settings.
Lead Where You Are
The world needs leaders who have the practical tools to motivate and grow others. The organizational leadership program provides the tools, steps and strategies that will help you assess, develop and train yourself and others. Practice the latest trends in leadership and learn how to be flexible, strategic and empowered to create meaningful change based on your organization or employees' needs.
We stress the importance of evolving in today's world since a lot can change in business, government, non-profit, or education in a short amount of time. Regardless of your position, rank, or job, you will know how to stay informed and be able to access a variety of tools to thrive as a leader in our ever-changing world.
Flexible, Yet Connected Degree
Our courses are 100% online. However, our faculty are committed to mentorship and coaching and want to build relationships with students that go beyond the virtual classroom. You will be assigned a faculty coach who will regularly communicate and meet with you to ensure that you are developing as a student, leader and professional. Together, you will find ways to actively practice leadership in your personal and professional life.
There are also opportunities to connect and engage with faculty, classmates, and other professional leaders in person through the weekend Leadership Conference events.
- Weekend Leadership Conference - an event designed to focus on your career and personal development that addresses the emerging trends in leadership through expert panel discussions, networking, and hands-on training experiences.
- 100% Online Curriculum - flexible courses designed to fit your busy schedule so you can keep your job while earning your degree.
- Comprehensive Curriculum - a strong curriculum that looks to the future and explores areas such as diversity and inclusion, evidence-based decision making, innovative training and development, and leadership coaching.
Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership Curriculum
- Creative and Future-Focused Curriculum: You will learn theories and concepts in organizational leadership and discover how these concepts can be introduced, discussed, and used in industries today.
- Ethically Responsible: Our core as an institution is to develop ethical and purposeful citizens and leaders in local, national and global contexts. Ethics is a foundational principle that is integrated into each and every class.
- Practical Application: Practical experiences are part of the entire program. Through case studies and assignments designed for real-world application, students will apply course concepts throughout the curriculum.
- The program consists of 12 courses, 36 credit hours.
- 5 core courses
- 7 elective courses
- All courses are offered in fully online formats and are delivered in 8-week sessions.
Leadership Core Courses
- MORG 500: Leadership and Organizational Theory
- MORG 525: Diversity and Inclusion
- MORG 550: Communication, Group Dynamics and Conflict Resolution
- MORG 575: Evidence Based Decision Making
- MORG 696: Innovation Project
Organizational Leadership Courses
- MHRM 615 - Strategic Human Resource Management
- MORG 675 - Strategic Leadership and Organizational Design
- MORG 625 - Assessment, Evaluation and Planning
- MORG 650 - Innovative Training and Development
- MORG 600 - High Potential Leadership Coaching
- 2 electives courses from the following:
- MFIN 510 - Financial Management
- MHRM 515 - Strategic Human Resource Development
- MBUS 500 - Data Analytics for Managers
- MBUS 635 - Leading Innovation and Change Management
- MBUS 520 - Applied Managerial Marketing
- MHSM 625 - Recruitment and Selection (MHRM 515 is a prerequisite)
- MHRM 655 - Workforce Compensation and Benefits (MHRM 515 is prerequisite)
- MBUS 509 - Entrepreneurship and New Venture Strategy MBUS 509
Organizational Leadership Conference
Developing and honing your leadership skills require constant training and intentional practice. The annual Leadership Conference provides you the space to take the principals of leadership theory that you learned in the virtual classroom and come together with faculty, classmates, and professional leaders to learn how you can place those principals into real practice. The conference is not linked to specific courses, but instead, focuses on your career and personal development and addresses the emerging trends in leadership.
Hands-on, Experiential Learning
The conference connects you with other leaders and gives you an opportunity to develop, implement, and analyze innovative leadership programs. During the two-day event, you will participate in unique and fun training opportunities, such as outdoor adventure leadership and arts-based learning, and learn how to create practical and meaningful experiences for others. There will be opportunities to work as a team to share takeaways and discuss how these innovative programs can be applied to your own work and career.
You will engage in panel discussions with expert faculty and industry leaders on the issues and challenges that leaders face in today's environment. The panelists are also available as career planning and leadership development resources. Their personal mentoring and coaching will help you explore how to embrace the future and create meaningful change.
Leadership Conference Topics
Panel discussions will focus on a range of trending and relevant topics in leadership today. Some examples include:
- Implicit Bias
- People Analytics
- Women Leaders on Corporate Boards
- The Leadership Conference will be held on Friday night and all day Saturday.
- Meals are provided for Friday dinner and Saturday breakfast and lunch.
- You will not be charged tuition/fees for your attendance.
- There is no limit to the number of conferences that you can attend. You are encouraged to attend each conference.
Organizational Leadership Outlook
An organizational leadership degree will set you on the path to success and help you advance your career in a fast growing industry. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, training and development managers earned a median salary of $95,400 in 2012, with positions expected to grow 11% by 2022. Job growth for management analyst positions is also expected to increase 19% by 2022. The median salary in 2012 was $78,600.
Regardless of your position or rank, you will discover how you can lead where you are. Organizational leaders can make an impact in a variety of work settings:
- Consulting firms
- Government agencies
- Higher education
- Nonprofit organizations
- Think tanks
Potential Career Opportunities
|Corporate Recruiting||Human Resources||Internal and External Management Consulting and Analysis||Knowledge Management||Leadership Coaching and Development|
|Learning or Training Departments||Organizational Development||Performance Improvement||Strategic Change and Strategic Planning||Talent Management|