Why pursue an actuarial science degree at North Central College?
Actuarial scientists analyze the financial costs of risk events using mathematics, statistics and financial theory. Our program is designed to help you gain exposure to both mathematical and financial skills to expand opportunities across industries.
At North Central, you will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience as early as your first year on campus. This experience will equip you with the skills to secure key internships and launch a successful career. A career in actuarial science offers a competitive starting salary, opportunities for career growth, job security and the ability to create meaningful impact.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN
- Managing and quantifying risk
- Combining your technical and business skills
- Solving problems with complex numerical data
then a degree in ACTUARIAL SCIENCE might be for you.
Why study accounting at North Central College?
In the Classroom
- Accounting principles
- Computer science
- Corporate finance
- Data analytics
- Linear algebra
- Macroeconomic principles
- Microeconomic principles
- Models for financial economics
- Money and banking
- Single variable and multivariable calculus
- Theory of interest
Beyond the Classroom
As an actuarial science major, you can:
- Conduct research with professors as early as your first year on campus.
- Network by attending local, regional and national professional conferences.
- Gain real-world experience interning with nearby Naperville and Chicago companies such as Aon, Allstate, Blue Cross Blue Shield and more.
- Participate in peer tutoring or become one yourself.
- Join the Actuarial Science Club, the professional insurance fraternal society Gamma Iota Sigma and the mathematics honor society Pi Mu Epsilon.
- Receive preparatory and financial support for industry-required actuarial exams.
Actuarial Science, B.S.
- MATH 151 - Calculus I
- MATH 152 - Calculus II
- MATH 253 - Calculus III
- MATH 265 - The Theory of Interest
- MATH 270 - Financial Mathematics
- MATH 300 - Linear Algebra
- MATH 340 - Probability
- MATH 350 - Data Analytics
- MATH 370 - Probability for Risk Management
- MATH 410 - Models for Financial Economics
- ACCT 201 - Financial Accounting
- ECON 200 - Principles of Microeconomics
- ECON 205 - Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECON 365 - Econometrics
- FINA 350 - Corporate Finance
It is strongly recommended that Actuarial Science majors pass at least one actuarial exam (preferably by the summer following their second year) and complete an internship before graduation.
Actuarial Science Internships and Jobs
A North Central education integrates career preparation with rich academic study. Our faculty encourages you to refine and apply your knowledge in an interconnected world. Here you'll learn to think independently and work globally to solve problems and lead.
Our students have recently been awarded internships or have received job
offers from the following companies:
- Liberty Mutual
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Lauterbach & Amen
- State Farm
- Country Financial
- W.R. Berkley Corporation
- Guarantee Trust Life
- American Association of Insurance Services
- Northwestern Mutual
- American Family
Invest in your future
Choosing the right college is a big decision. Don’t make it alone. North Central’s admission and financial aid team is here to help you design a financial aid solution that works best for you and your family.
Merit scholarships, grants, loans, campus employment - these are just some of the resources available to you. Over 95 percent of students and 100 percent of all eligible students receive aid. Let our team partner with you in finding the best value for your education.
Apply to North Central College
The first step to becoming a North Central student is reading the application instructions specific to you. Find out everything you need to know about applying by selecting the group you belong to below.