Why choose pre-law at North Central College?
We know what law schools and the American Bar Association (ABA) look for—and it’s not a pre-law curriculum. We offer what the ABA recommends: a rigorous course of study, no matter what your major, with supportive professors. Rest assured you’ll find plenty of opportunities to pursue your legal interests outside the classroom to make your law school application stand out from the rest. Intern at our Dispute Resolution Center, serve as an editor of the Illinois State Bar Association’s ADR newsletter, join our Mock Trial team—the possibilities are endless. And when it’s time to think about law school, we’ll walk you through the preparation and application process from beginning to end.
You can also:
- Complete a minor in conflict resolution, leadership or social change and public policy through our Leadership, Ethics and Values (LEV) program.
- Join our Mock Trial team or our nationally ranked speech and debate team.
- Gain valuable experience by interning in North Central’s Dispute Resolution Center, which provides mediation and consulting services to students through its Peer Mediation Program.
- Apply for membership in the national Blue Key Honor Society, which recognizes exemplary leadership in and out of the classroom.
- Develop your personal and professional leadership skills through LEV’s iLEAD or Distinguished Leaders program.
- Apply for a Richter Grant to fund original research anywhere, including the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Present the findings of your research at the Rall Symposium for Undergraduate Research.
North Central offers no specific pre-law track or curriculum. Instead, we agree with the ABA and former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter who advised undergraduate students to choose majors and programs of study that interest them — whether it’s political science, music theory or education. A broad liberal arts background is best. Regardless of the path you choose, success in a legal career requires your
- ability to read carefully and argue effectively
- capacity to write, speak and listen well
- sense of justice and fairness
We recommend you seek advice from our pre-law advisors in North Central’s political science department.
Pre-Law Internships and Jobs
A North Central education integrates career preparation with rich academic study. Our faculty encourages you to refine and apply your knowledge in an interconnected world. Here you'll learn to think independently and work globally to solve problems and lead.
Recent internships in law include:
- Law clerk, Keough and Moody P.C., Naperville
- Intern, law offices of Jeffrey Knuckles, Naperville
- Intern, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), Geneva, IL
Recent graduates have been accepted at:
- Chicago-Kent Law School
- DePaul University College of Law
- Northwestern School of Law
- Loyola University School of Law
- Private attorney
- Business owner
- United States Military JAG Corps
Invest in your future
Choosing the right college is a big decision. Don’t make it alone. North Central’s admission and financial aid team is here to help you design a financial aid solution that works best for you and your family.
Merit scholarships, grants, loans, campus employment - these are just some of the resources available to you. Over 95 percent of students and 100 percent of all eligible students receive aid. Let our team partner with you in finding the best value for your education.
Apply to North Central College
The first step to becoming a North Central student is reading the application instructions specific to you. Find out everything you need to know about applying by selecting the group you belong to below.