College of Arts & Sciences
College of Arts and Sciences
Learn how the faculty and programs in the College of Arts and Sciences seek to foster intellectual curiosity and lifelong learning.
The College of Arts and Sciences at North Central College encourages students to pursue excellence as they explore the world in all its complexity. Rooted firmly in the institution’s mission to prepare students to become curious, engaged, ethical and purposeful citizens and leaders in local, national and global contexts, the programs and course offerings in the College of Arts and Sciences foster critical thinking, communication, and cultural competency. Professors in these areas are passionate about their subjects and model intellectual curiosity for North Central College students and alumni alike.
North Central College students are not satisfied with simply receiving training for particular careers—they seek to use those positions to effect meaningful change in their communities, broadly defined. From disciplinary perspectives, we are consciously and unapologetically interdisciplinary. Our faculty members operate on the cutting edge of research and are exceptionally gifted teachers. Students and faculty work together to discover new knowledge, partner with members of the community, travel the world, value diversity, and share their experiences broadly. Students might choose to major in one of more than fifty available degree programs or pursue a minor to complement a major in the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Business and Entrepreneurship, the School of Education and Health Sciences, or the Shimer Great Books School. Irrespective of their path, the College of Arts and Sciences enriches students’ educational experiences and provides the basis for continued learning for a lifetime.
Departments and Programs
- Art and Design, Christine Rabenold, Chair
- Biology, Jonathan Visick, Chair
- Chemistry and Physics, Paul Brandt, Chair
- Communication and Media Studies, Steve Macek, Chair
- Computer Science and Engineering, Sun-il Kim, Chair
- English, Jennifer Smith, Chair
- History, Luke Franks, Chair
- Modern and Classical Languages, Norval Bard, Chair
- Mathematics and Actuarial Science, Matthew Pons, Chair
- Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Frank Harwath, Chair
- Music, Jonathon Kirk, Chair
- Philosophy and Religious Studies, Wioleta Polinska, Chair
- Political Science, William Muck, Chair
- Psychology and Neuroscience, Mary Jean Lynch, Chair
- Sociology and Anthropology, Louis Corsino, Chair
- Theatre, John Warrick, Chair